Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Pumpkin Spice Latte, Lighter


Ah, Pumpkin Spice Latte at Starbucks, I love thee so. But even a tall nonfat no-whip has 200 calories! That's a bit more than I like for my morning coffee. What to do?

1) Order the "short" 8 ounce size for 130 calories. Didn't know the 'bux had an 8 ounce size? Now you do, and you can order most drinks in it!

2) Order the short, above, and bring it home, put it in a nice coffee cup, and water it down with almond milk (add 4 ounces for 20 calories). In a pinch, I think you could water it down with water. There's plenty of sweet syrup in the short to go to 12 ounces (or higher).

3) Ask for less syrup in a tall (or short) latte. The drink is plenty sweet already. I'll have to ask next time I'm there how many "pumps" they put in the short, but since a short plain nonfat latte is 70 calories (vs the short PS Latte at 130), the "short" amount of syrup is 60 calories. Add this quantity to a tall latte, and get a ~160 calorie tall slightly-less-sweet pumpkin spice latte.

4) Make it at home. (I did this in the microwave last year, and it hit the spot.)

Other useful tidbits: The difference between a short nonfat latte (8 ounces -- 70 calories, 1 WWP) and a tall nonfat latte (12 ounces -- 100 calories, 2 WWPs) is 30 calories.

Addendum: The difference between a tall nonfat latte (100 calories) and a tall pumpkin spice latte (200 calories) is 100 calories. I quizzed my local baristas about how much syrup they put into a PS latte and they said 3 pumps. That means each pump is ~33 calories. Today I had a one pump pumpkin spice latte for 133 calories (3 WWPs). It was "spicy" but not super sweet or pumpkin-y. I may also try a short pumpkin spice latte with 1 pump for ~103 calories) for a sweeter, more decadent drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment