Tuesday, September 1, 2009

High Protein, Low Fat Fire Roasted Tomato Soup


I wanted to experiment with cream soups made without cream (yes, an oxymoron). I love the texture of cream based soups; the high fat content not so much. I ran across the idea of using silken tofu to "creamify" soups, so last night I hacked the recipe for Fire Roasted Tomato Soup that's on the Muir Glen website Muir Glen is the maker of the most decadent Fire Roasted Tomatoes ever -- these are staple in my pantry.

I followed the recipe as written, with the exception of adding 6-7 ounces (half a package) of pureed silken tofu instead of cream at the end. I drained the tofu in a colander first, then sliced it up, added it to my blender with some vegetable broth, and ran it until it was a smooth thick gloppy texture. (You *might* be able to add sliced silken tofu to your soup and use an immersion blender for the pureeing of the tomatoes and tofu together -- I'll try this next time, since I used the immersion blender for pureeing the soup itself.) I added the pureed tofu to the soup about 10 minutes before serving, heating thoroughly.

My husband's comment: "Taste just like La Madeline's." And since that is the epitome of cream of tomato soup to me, I called it a success.

Here's the numbers for the tofu swap:
whipping cream: 400 calories in 4 oz (no protein, 40 grams fat)
vs
silken tofu: 80 calories (8 grams protein, 4 grams fat)
So the swap saved 320 calories and 36 grams of fat overall.

Additional note: I think choosing tomato soup -- with it's high acidity -- was a good choice for my first silken tofu recipe -- the acid cuts the tofu flavor in a way a mushroom soup might not.

It was low enough in calories/points that I was able to pair it with two "cheese toasts" -- a third of an ounce of Beecher's Smoked Cheese melted over a 1 oz slice of Central Market's MultiGrain Mini Baguette and a quarter of the container of Boursin Light on another 1 oz slice. (For the record, the Boursin light did not really melt, although it was tasty. The Beecher's was a wonderful full fat cheese that melted and was fabulous!) (2 WWPs each cheese toast.)

No comments:

Post a Comment